Sympathizing with the Christian Dissenter in Hacksaw Ridge

I watched Hacksaw Ridge this weekend, Mel Gibson's movie about a literal Christian soldier during World War II who becomes a medic after completing basic training without picking up a gun. He's a Seventh Day Adventist, which makes him a pacifist (as well as a vegetarian).

I found myself empathizing and sympathizing with him more than I'd expected, including in moments that pertained less to his pacifism than to his religion–a puzzling predicament for me as an atheist Jew. Faith is the opposite of how I try to operate. I try to be skeptical of everything and believe things based on proof (all while knowing that this is unattainable).

Yet once I have arrived at a conclusion, and pending further evidence forcing me to revise my beliefs, I believe strongly in acting: whether it's direct activism as I've done in the past, research, or donating money. Acting requires commitment. Even when the evidence points one way, social norms often point the other way. Those social norms require something akin to faith to overcome. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Much Do Wild Animals Suffer? A Foundational Result on the Question is Wrong.

We're Here, We're Queer, Get Used to It: A Lesson the Animal Rights Movement Could Learn

What I Learned from a Year Spent Studying How to Get Policymakers to Use Evidence